So I’m a few weeks into my coding journey and here is my latest update:
- Codecademy and Treehouse are great resources and their material, and especially their different methods of teaching, are proving useful and have kept me interested.
- I’m reading great books on coding, which I will add to my Lesson Plan page, and the few times when I read something and have not only heard of it before, but understand it, is such a great feeling.
COULD BE BETTER
- There have been more days than I’m comfortable with when I haven’t done any studying. The Treehouse blog had a post recently where they talked about keys to remembering the code you are learning. I kept thinking you have to learn it first before you worry about forgetting it. What I keep in mind is with a full-time job, a six-month old at home and other responsibilities, there will be days when I can’t stick to my learning plan. I just need to remember we find time for those things we value, and I value learning how to code.
- I used a great video from Dash that walked me through setting up a website on Bit Balloon just by dragging your site files over. I used it to build my Mom’s retirement party site, but I haven’t cleaned it up enough to share it with others. I keep waiting for this mythical block of a few hours to show up so I can sit down and totally focus on it. I just need to work on it in bits and pieces and ship it already.
- I want to blog everyday about my journey, and I would if I accepted the fact that every post doesn’t have to be a world-altering manifesto. I love reading about other’s journeys in learning to code and that is what I need to remember. It is the journey that counts and it is my journey that could have value to those that come after me.